Image of bed bugs in the seam of a mattress (CDC)
Fact Sheet and more images of bed bugs:
- Bed Bug Fact Sheet
- Washing Cloths when in Contact with BedBug Infestations
- Cudahy Bed Bug Complaint Form
What are bed bugs?
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services describes bed bugs as small, flat, parasitic insects. They live only on the blood of people and animals, and usually come out while a person or animal is asleep. Bed bugs are reddish-brown in color, wingless, range from 1mm to 7mm (roughly the size of Lincoln's head on a penny), and can live several months without a blood meal.
Where can I find bed bugs?
Bed bugs are found in homes, apartments, hotels, and other pubic locations. They usually hide in small spaces (such as the woodwork of a head board or night stand), mattresses, box springs, and furniture.
How will I know if I have a bed bug infestation?
You may find small bite marks on your body, live bed bugs, or stains from blood fecal matter on your mattress or sheets.
What should I do if I think I have a bed bug infestation?
- Homes: Call a pest control company
- Apartments: Inform your building manager and contact local health department if you would like to file a complaint
- Hotels: Inform the front desk, hotel manager, or housekeeping and contact local health department if you would like to file a complaint
Click here for a list of local health department contact information in Wisconsin. The Registered Sanitarian in Cudahy will investigate bed bug complaints only after you have completed the Bed Bug Complaint Form. Bed bug infestations can happen in any household, and can be found in world class hotels and airplanes.
Cudahy Health Department
5050 South Lake Drive
Cudahy, WI 53110
Phone: (414) 769-2239
After hours phone: (414) 769-2260