Get Adobe Flash Player

Garbage and Recycling

DPW Fall 2010 News

Cudahy Drop Off/Recycling Center

Winter Hours (December 1, 2013 - March 31, 2014):
Saturday -- 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Summer Hours (Effective April 1, 2014- October 31, 2014)
Tuesday and Thursday -- 11:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday -- 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Garbage, recycling and yard waste will be accepted at all times.

Garbage Collection



Route Map

Rules and Regulations  

All garbage must be placed inside the black carts provided by the city, with the lids securely closed.  Carts must be placed at the curb or alley line by 6:00 a.m. on the day of collection.  Please make sure that your cart is at least three feet from any other object (including other carts) so that the arms of the truck can enfold the cart and dump your refuse.  Please do not park your car within 20 feet of a cart placed out for collection.

Carts must be returned to your property as soon as possible following collection.  They cannot be stored on city right of way.  Lids must be completely closed. 

Refuse that is tightly packed into carts may not completely dump.  Garbage that is not bagged and tied may cause unsightly litter when carts are emptied.  Please do not place any yard waste/grass clippings, recyclables, furniture, appliances etc. in your cart.  The weight capacity is 200 pounds.  Bags or boxes placed next to the cart cannot be collected.  If you have additional refuse that does not fit in the cart with the lid closed, you may either call for a special collection for a fee, or you may bring it for free to the Cudahy Drop-Off Center (5631 South Pennsylvania Avenue) on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

If you find a violation tag attached to your garbage cart, read it carefully to determine what action you must take to resume refuse collection.  If you need further information or have a question about garbage collection rules, please call our office at 769-2216.  Chronic refuse violators will be subject to a charge.

Was your garbage missed?

Please call our office as soon as possible so that a crew may be sent back in a timely manner. 

Need a new cart?

If your garbage or recycling cart is damaged, please call 769-2216 to schedule the necessary repair or replacement.  Carts must be left by the curb or alley line for repair.

Special Collections

Any property owner may request a special collection for a fee for pick-up of larger items during the year.  We will pick up furniture, appliances, carpeting, etc.  Place your items at the alley or curb line and stop into City Hall to fill out a "special collection form" and make your prepayment fee of $50.  Please note $50 covers 15 minutes including travel time to and from the Transfer site (located at 5631 Pennsylvania Avenue), loading time, and the time it takes to unload materials back at the Transfer site.  There is a charge of $3.25 per minute after 15 minutes, which the property owner will be invoiced.  The charge for clean dirt or concrete with no metal is $50 per load.  The charge for concrete with rebar is $60 per load.  Mixed loads are $75 per load.  Because all municipal billings are to owners of record, tenants must have their landlords order any special collections.  Please call the Department of Public Works at 414-769-2216 with any questions.

Special Pickup Prepayment Form

Trash, refuse, furniture, appliances, etc. that have been adjacent to an alley or street for four or more days or have generated the issuance of an abatement order from the Inspection Department will be picked up and billed without notice to the property owners as follows:

Violations that are deemed a health hazard will be picked up immediately.

  • Clean-up by DPW after four days (no request for special collection): $50 plus weight.
  • Clean-up after issuance of an abatement order: actual DPW costs of labor and equipment or $75 minimum fee.
  • No contractor-generator waste will be accepted.  If you hire someone to do the work, then they must remove all the waste.

Hazardous Waste

The Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District handles household hazardous waste collection.  Hazardous waste includes items such as oil-based paint and paint thinner, fluorescent light blubs and solvent-based kitchen and bathroom cleaners.  For a complete list of hazardous waste and collection locations, please visit or call (414)225-2066.

Disposal of Paint

Left over oil-based paints, primers, stains and varnishes are considered hazardous waste and cannot be placed in your garbage.  Keep the material in its original container with the label and dispose of it at an MMSD household hazardous waste disposal site.  This disposal is free.

Left over water-based paints may be disposed of in your solid waste collection.  However, the paint MUST BE DRY AND CHALKY.  To help dry paint in the can, pour cat litter into the container.  Let the paint sit out in the sun with the lid off for several days.  Once dried, place the can with the cat litter in a plastic garbage bag.  At no time should cans of paint with liquid be placed in the garbage.  The property owner will be billed for any clean-up costs related to the improper disposal of paint.

Hardship Garbage

The Hardship Garbage Program is a service for elderly or handicapped citizens who are physically unable to push their carts to the curb or alley.  Residents on the list are issued a smaller cart, which is typicaly kept near the home and does not need to be moved for collection.  All garbage must be in plastic bags in the cart.  A separate refuse crew manually collects garbage weekly.  Our office notifies the recycling company to provide similar service.  A doctor's written excuse with the resident's name and address must be faxed (769-2261) or sent to the Public Works office to begin this service.

Recycling Collection

Route Map

2013 Recycling Calendar and Newsletter

Recycling is required by state law.  Periodically, refuse collectors check for recyclables in garbage carts.  Failure to recycle could result in the loss of refuse collection service from the city.  Fines could be levied for repeat offenders.

Rules and Regulations

Veolia provides residential recycling every other week on the same day as regular garbage collection. Do not bundle or bag any recyclables.  Simply place all of your usual recyclable items (bottles, cans, paper and cardboard) loose in your 64-gallon, gray recycling cart.  All items will be separated at a Veolia recycling facility.  Please make sure your cart is not within three feet of any vertical obstruction, including your garbage cart.  All items should be contained in the cart including:

Paper, cardboard, magazines and telephone books may be placed loose in the cart.

  • Acceptable papers include junk mail, catalogs, notebooks, newspaper inserts, file folders, boxboard (cereal, cake or cookie boxes).  No wax or plastic coated boxes.  Cardboard should be in pieces no large than 3 ft. by 3 ft., broken down and placed in cart.
  • Aluminum:  Beverage containers only.  No other aluminum products accepted. 
  • Glass bottles and jars:  Green, brown and clear glass only.  No window glass, pyrex, light bulbs, ceramics, kitchenware or auto glass.  Please remove lids.
  • #1 -  #7 plastic:  No automotive product containers, blue PVC water bottles or plastic bags.  Please remove caps and rinse.  Labels do not need to be removed.
  • Tin or Bi-Metal containers:  Food containers only.  Labels do not need to be removed.  Please rinse.
  • Aerosol spray cans:  Any empty aerosol container may be recycled including paints, pesticides, etc. Make sure the can is empty.
  • Plastic bags are NOT recyclable.  Please do not place any garbage in your recycling container!

Who to Contact about Service

Complaints and questions regarding the collection of recyclables should be directed to Veolia's Customer Service Center at 262-679-0860. If Veolia does not resolve your complaint or answer your question, call the Department of Public Works at 769-2216. 

Need a New Cart?

If your recycling cart needs to be replaced or repaired, please call the Department of Public Works at 769-2216.  Carts must be left at the curb for repairs to be made.

Hardship Recycling

Elderly and handicapped residents who are physically unable to push their carts to the curb or alley may be eligible for recycling collection assistance, in connection with Cudahy's Hardship Garbage Program.  A doctor's written excuse with the resident's name and address must be faxed (769-2257) or sent to the Department of Public Works to begin this service.

Collection of Items Containing Refrigerant

EFFECTIVE June 1, 2010 the City will no longer collect or receive items at the Drop-Off Site/Transfer Station that contain or have contained refrigerants.  These include items such as refrigerators, dehumidifiers and air conditioners.  When you purchase a new appliance or item containing a refrigerant, please arrange disposal of your old item with the retailer.  If this is not possible, there are several companies that will pick up these items for a fee.    

Local companies that pick up items containing refrigerants:

  • Refrigerant Recovery (414) 643-7740, 1125 W. National Ave. Milwaukee
  • Refrigerant Depot (414) 627-1152,        5311 South 9th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53221


Medical Waste       

The City of Cudahy has a prescription drug collection program to protect our residents and our environment.

  • WHEN: 
    Monday through Friday
    6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • WHERE:     
    Cudahy Police Department
    5050 South Lake Drive
  • BRING: Prescription medication in the original container (remove your name from the bottle) & over-the-counter medications, ointments, sprays, inhalers, creams & pet medications.
  • DO NOT BRING: Illegal drugs, biohazardous material, needles/sharps, personal care products (shampoo, soaps, lotions, etc), household hazardous waste (paint, pesticides, oil, gas)

The Cudahy Police Department takes the medication to Illinois for incineration.

Sharps Disposal         

Sharps disposal is available for all Cudahy residents who use syringes or blood testing equipment in their homes.  Sharps must be placed in a rigid, puncture-proof container such as a laundry detergent bottle with a secure lid.  A biohazard label should be placed on the outside of the container.  Sharps can be brought to the Cudahy Health Department during normal business hours for free disposal.

City of Cudahy - 5050 S. Lake Drive - Cudahy, WI - 53110
 Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

  ©2014 City of Cudahy Search Contact Us Residents Departments About Cudahy created using: