Get Adobe Flash Player

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find a garbage and recycling route map and calendar?


How are my taxes used for DPW services?

What should I do if my garbage was missed?

Please call us at 769-2216 as soon as possible so we can send out a crew in a timely manner.

What should I do if I need a new garbage cart?

Call us at 769-2216 for repair or replacement.

What can I place in my garbage cart?

Only put bagged and tied refuse into your cart.  By Wisconsin law, yard waste, grass clippings, recyclables, furniture, appliances etc. CANNOT be placed in your garbage cart.  The weight capacity is 200 pounds.  Bags or boxes placed next to the cart cannot be collected.  Chronic refuse violators will be subject to a charge.

Where can I bring outdated, prescription medication?

The Cudahy Police Department (5050 South Lake Drive) will take prescription medication in the original container (remove your name from the bottle) and over-the-counter medications, ointments, sprays, inhalers, creams and pet medications Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Where can I bring used syringes and other blood testing equipment?

The Cudahy Health Department (5050 South Lake Drive) will take sharps that have been placed in rigid, puncture-proof containers during normal business hours.

Does the city offer any free pick-up of yard waste or other household items?

The only free pickup of the year is the annual Spring Clean-Up in April and May.  Check this website, the city newsletter or contact the DPW for exact dates.

Who do I contact for a special garbage collection?

Any property owner may order a special collection for a fee for pickup of larger items during the year, with the exception of the spring cleanup period.  Place your items at the alley or curb line and call 769-2216

Where is the Cudahy Drop-Off/Recycling Center?

It is located at 5631 South Pennsylvania Avenue. Proof of residency or ownership of property is required!  Trash is accepted Tuesdays and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.  Recycling can be dropped off Mondays from 8:00 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. (year round), Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. (open until 6:00 p.m. April 1 - September 30) and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. (year round). Yard waste is accepted any time the center is open.  The center is closed Sundays, Wednesdays, Fridays and holidays.

What do I do with Hazardous Waste?

The Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District handles household hazardous waste collection.  For a complete list of hazardous waste and collection locations, please visit or call (414)225-2066.

What can I do if I am unable to push my garbage or recycling cart to the curb or alley?

Contact the Public Works office at 769-2257 to be considered for the Hardship Garbage Program.  A doctor's written excuse with your name and address is required.

When is recycling collected?

Veolia provides residential recycling every other week on the same day as regular garbage collection.

Do I HAVE to recycle?

Recycling is required by state law.  Failure to recycle could result in the loss of refuse collection service from the city.  Fines could be levied for repeat offenders.  Do not bundle or bag any recyclables.  Simply place all of your usual recyclable items (bottles, cans, paper and cardboard) loose in your 64-gallon, gray recycling cart.  All items must be in cart with the lid securely closed.  Do not put any garbage in your recycling cart. 

Who should I contact if my recycling was missed?

Complaints and questions should be directed to Veolia's Customer Service Center at 262-679-0860.  If Veolia does not resolve your complaint or answer your question, call the Department of Public Works at 769-2216.

What should I do if I need a new recycling cart?

If your recycling cart needs to be replaced or repaired, please call the Department of Public Works at 769-2216.

Can yard waste be put in the street for collection?

Because yard waste can clog storm sewers and cause flooding, it is not normally allowed in the street.  The only time it IS allowed is during the Fall Clean-Up.  Check this website, the City newsletter or contact the DPW for exact dates.

What should I do with branches and brush?

Brush and branches can  be dropped off at the Cudahy Drop-Off Center  You must purchase the appropriate number of drop-off tickets for your vehicle type.  You may also dispose of branches and brush with a special collection.  Special collections are a $50 prepay for 15 minutes of collection time.  Forms must be filled out and fee paid before collection will be scheduled.  Forms are available at City Hall or you can call the public works office at 769-2216 to have a form mailed to you.   Materials must be placed at the curb with the branches parallel to the road.  Branches may be left at full length.  Please do NOT bag brush or branches.  To order a brush collection, call 769-2216.

Where can I find details about the fall leaf collection?


Where can I find details about the Spring Clean-Up?

Who do I contact to request the planting, trimming, removal or care of a parkway tree?

Contact the DPW at 769-2216.

Are woodchips available from the city?

When available, the city offers rough-cut mulch to residents

How much snow must fall before the City plows?

A snowfall of 3" or more will be plowed. A snowfall less than 3" will be salted.  

How much time do I have after a snowfall to clear my sidewalk?

City ordinance states that snow and ice must be removed within 24 hours after the snow fall has ended  and may not be shoveled or blown onto a public right of way. If the properties next to yours have been cleared of snow, yours should be also.

Who do I contact if I need help with shoveling?

If you are 60 years of age or older and need help with shoving, Cudahy-St. Francis Interfaith may be able to help.  Interfaith, working with the Cudahy School District, can arrange for students to shovel the snow from your sidewalk and the walk to your front door after a four-inch or more snowfall.  The service is paid for with a grant from the city.  For more information, call Interfaith at 483-4474. 

How do I report a sewer backup?

Call the DPW at 769-2216 during regular business hours (8 a.m. - 4 p.m.).  After hours, call the police non-emergency number 769-2260.

How do I report a pothole in the street/alley?

Call the DPW at 769-2216.

How do I report street flooding?

Call the DPW at 769-2216.


City of Cudahy - 5050 S. Lake Drive - Cudahy, WI - 53110
(414.769.2200) Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

  ©2014 City of Cudahy Search Contact Us Residents Departments About Cudahy created using: