Before learning more about parking rules, permits and parking citations, here are a few important definitions.
- Vehicle Registration Number -- a vehicle's license plate number.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) -- the number that car manufacturers stamp on a vehicle. The VIN number may be located on the driver's side door or on the driver's side windshield at the corner base of the dashboard.
- Registration Suspended -- a vehicle's registration is generally considered suspended if there are unpaid parking citations, if a vehicle has not undergone a required emissions check or if a vehicle's plates have not been properly paid for. There may be some other extenuating circumstances in which a vehicle's registration is suspended.
- Parking Line -- number you should call to receive overnight parking permission (414)744-3444. Please read further to see if you qualify for overnight parking.
OVERNIGHT PARKING REGULATIONS CITY OF CUDAHY ORDINANCE 6.13
Tips for using the parking line and parking in Cudahy
ALL NIGHT PARKING PROHIBITED No person shall park any vehicle on any city street between 2:30am and 5:30am, except those vehicles that have affixed a valid City of Cudahy parking permit. Only vehicles with valid registration will be granted overnight parking permission or parking permits.
PARKING PERMIT STICKERS Parking permits valid for a 2 calendar-month period (December through January; February through March; April through May; June through July; August through September; October through November) may be purchased at the Cudahy Police Department at a cost of $25.00 plus tax per 2-month period, or discounted amounts for extended months.
ALTERNATE SIDES with PERMIT STICKER You must park your vehicle on the odd (west/south) or even (east/north) side of the street as determined by the date before midnight [i.e. If the date before midnight is December 1, you are required to park on the odd (west/south) side of the street.] NO PARKING PERMITTED on S. Packard Avenue, S. Lake Drive, or adjacent service streets.
WEEKEND PARKING Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights (Friday night through Monday morning) are permitted without a permit when parked on the correct side of the street according to the date (see Alternate Sides with Permit).
LOCATION OF PERMIT STICKER When looking at the driver's side of the car, place permit on the lower right corner of the driver's window.
TIME LIMITATION Your vehicle cannot be parked in one location for more than 24 hours. Vehicles parked in excess of 24 hours will be cited and towed at the owner's expense.
SPECIAL PERMISSION – OVERNIGHT PARKING You are allowed 4 call in permissions to park on the street per month. Maximum of 8 call-in permissions per year. Follow the instructions on the parking line phone (744-3444). You must park on alternate (odd/even) sides of the street.
PARKING DURING SNOW EMERGENCIES
City of Cudahy Municipal Traffic Code 6.12
No parking during snow emergencies on either side of designated thoroughfares listed below:
South – Barland, Hately, Illinois, Nicholson, Packard, Pennsylvania, Swift and Whitnall Avenues;
East – Barnard, College, Edgerton, Grange, Ladish, Ramsey and Van Norman Avenues.
Public notice will be given to the following media sources: RADIO STATIONS: WTMJ, WISN and WKTI; TV STATIONS: CHANNELS 4, 6, 12, and 58. Should weather turn bad or if there is a snowfall in excess of 3", tune in to one of the media stations to determine if a Snow Emergency has been declared. As a last resort, call the Cudahy Police Department for information. If you leave a vehicle on one of the above thoroughfares in a Snow Emergency, there is a fine of $50.00, and if the vehicle is a hazard, it will be towed at your expense.
- Redial! If you call and the line is busy, it's best to keep pressing redial. Do NOT call police dispatch because the line is busy.
- Plan ahead! You can call for permission for the upcoming evening any time during the day after 8 a.m. The address where the vehicle is parked does not have to be exact. The line gets extremely busy between 10 p.m. and midnight.
- PLATE and ADDRESS only! We do not need vehicle descriptions! Just the plate called in clearly denoting the letters as in the example (320-MKP) with an approximate address/hundred block is all we need. Descriptions of vehicles are not accepted in place of vehicle registrations or VIN numbers.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): If your vehicle does not have a plate it can not be called in using the VIN. License plates are only accepted. Vehicles must be properly registered to obtain permission to be parked on a roadway. Vehicle descriptions or driver's license numbers may not be entered for permission.
- Special Circumstances: If you need extended permission for driveway construction, friend/family from out of town or other special situations, call the Cudahy Police Dispatch at 414-769-2260 ext 0.
- Alternate side parking: Odd and even side parking is enforced all year including weekends. Permission/permits are not currently needed for Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, but alternate side parking still applies. If your address ends in 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9, you are on the odd or west/south side of the street. If your address ends in 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8, you are on the east/north side of the street. The correct side of the street is determined by the calendar date prior to midnight. Alternate side parking helps to weed out abandoned and sometimes even stolen vehicles.
- Permits: Permits are sold at the Cudahy Police Department during normal business hours (Mon-Fri 6 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sat. 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.) and are sold in two month increments. Permits are currently $26.40 (including tax) for two months. Vehicles must be properly registered to obtain a parking permit.
- Snow Emergencies: In the winter months there is no parking during snow emergencies on either side of the following streets: Barland, Hately, Illinois, Nicholson, Packard, Pennsylvania, Swift, Whitnall, College, Edgerton, Grange, Ladish, Ramsey and Van Norman. Public Notification of snow emergencies is done by WTMJ-AM, WISN-AM, and WLWK-FM (94.5 Lake FM) radio stations, as well as television channels 4, 6, 12, and 58. Snow emergencies are declared by the Mayor in the event of an excess of three inches of snowfall accumulation. Leaving a vehicle parked on the above listed streets during a snow emergency may result in a fine and towing at the owner's expense. Snow emergencies in Cudahy are very rare. Please avoid calling dispatch to ask if one is in effect.
- Parking Citation Payments: To pay parking citations,mail the payment to the Cudahy Police Department,5050 S.Lake Drive, Cudahy,WI 53110 or drop your payment in the payment drop box at the Cudahy Police Department. Payments are also accepted at the Police Department front counter.
City of Cudahy - 5050 S. Lake Drive - Cudahy, WI - 53110
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.