Get Adobe Flash Player

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I need a building permit?

Building permits are required to construct any new building, add to an existing building and/or make alterations involving structural changes.  Permits are also required for, but not limited to, accessory buildings, fences, decks, swimming pools and HVAC. (For more information see the "Permit Types" page.)

Why do I need a permit?

The City of Cudahy adopts state and local building, plumbing and electrical codes to protect its citizens.  Permits are required to track the work being done, and the permit fees pay for the inspections and record keeping of the city.

Who is responsible for obtaining a permit?

It is common for contractors to obtain permits; however, it is the responsibility of the homeowner to make sure that the required permits are obtained.  It's always a good idea to check with the city about required permits before hiring a contractor.

Can I do my own plumbing work?

With the exception of owner-occupied, single family residences, all plumbing work must be done by state-licensed plumbing contractors.

Can I do my own electrical work?

The City of Cudahy requires that all electrical work be done by locally-licensed contractors who must first obtain permits.

What work as a homeowner can I do on my property?

All work other than electrical and plumbing can be done by homeowners.  Please check for required permits.  Permits must be obtained before starting any work.  Plumbing work MAY be performed by owners of single family, owner-occupied dwellings.

What if obtaining a permit was a part of my contract and the contractor neglected to do so?

Homeowners should always find out which permits are required before hiring a contractor to do work on their homes, and then request a copy of the permit before allowing the contractor to start work.  If a permit is not obtained, it is ultimately the property-owner's responsibility.  If work has been done on your property without a permit, please contact the Inspection Department.  We will assist you in obtaining the required permit(s) and inspections as best we can; however, the city cannot intervene in contract issues between the contractor and homeowner.  If there is a question, it is best to call us BEFORE making final payment to your contractor.

What types of inspections are required?

  • Footings (before pouring concrete)
  • Foundation walls (before backfilling)
  • Rough plumbing (called in by plumber)
  • Rough electrical (called in by electrician)
  • Rough framing (before insulating)
  • Insulation (before wall and ceiling finish is applied)
  • Interior drain tile (before pouring basement floor concrete)
  • Outside drain tile (before stone cover)
  • Final plumbing (called in by plumber)
  • Final electrical (called in by electrician)
  • Final building occupancy (before moving in)

How much advance notice is required for an inspection request?

Most inspections can be performed within one business day of the request.  However, due to staffing and workload fluctuation, notification may be necessary two business days in advance.

If I still have questions, who should I contact?

For questions regarding inspections, permits, applications, fees or the permit process, please call the Inspection Department at 769-2209 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  For questions related to building, plumbing or electrical codes, inspectors are available for phone calls between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.

City of Cudahy - 5050 S. Lake Drive - Cudahy, WI - 53110
(414.769.2200) Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

  ©2014 City of Cudahy Search Contact Us Residents Departments About Cudahy created using: